Thursday, June 30, 2011

Linky Party at Little Miss Kindergarten


Little Miss Kindergarten is having a Linky Party on transitions in the classroom. Join the conversation by heading over to her blog! As she is said, some transitions are hard to make in the classroom. How do you make enough time to transition when you look at the clock and realize you need to stop the activity and head to lunch? I admit, it's something I need to improve upon in my classroom instead of shouting, "Hurry and clean up! We're late for lunch!"

Transitions I Do Use:
-when transitioning to our specials we walk quietly in the hallway by playing "Follow the Leader" as we walk. I will make different hand/arm movements and the students are expected to follow along. 
-when transitioning from the carpet to their desk I sit in my chair at the carpet and have students whisper the answer to a question into my ear before they sit down at their table. Examples of questions:  What rhymes with ____? What starts with letter ____? How can we make the number 4 when we add? Or anything that has to do with our theme of the week. 
-during Literacy Centers, Playtime  and Math Tubs I will turn off the lights when it is time to clean up. This prompts the kids to start picking up immediately. 


I have 5 i-Pods to use this year, so I hope to download music and begin to use this as a transition activity. Little Miss Kindergarten has a great list of songs, any other ideas on songs to add to my i-Pod?





1 comment:

  1. Hi... I am going to the National I Teach K conference next week and the only class I am excited about taking is called I-Pad, I-Tunes, and Apps, Oh My! I stumbled across you tonight... check my blog next week and I should some of that information posted! I plan to share everything! I am sure I will get some really good resources during that session... or at least I hope. =) Good luck with your I-Pods... did you write a grant for them? That's next on my list too! Maybe an I-Pod and and I-Pad! =)

    I hope you post how it goes next year... I am your newest follower!

    Empowering Kinders and Other Kids Too

    ReplyDelete